Tuesday, May 4, 2010

you crafty cupcake, you

* since I am more than behind on my blogging, here are 3 posts of catch up; keep on scrollin’ friends, if you are so inclined

Weekends are for suckers like me. Suckers who like secretly feeling the thrill of the “weekend”, where you can get away with having a little fun and putting off work you most certainly should be doing. I won’t trade that feeling anytime too soon I think. Jena and I finally had a much needed hen session at brunch at Detour CafĂ© with blood orange and pineapple mimosas with a lot of catch up. Afterward, we went to Crafty Wonderland at the Convention Center. About 200 crafters presented at a somewhat poorly attended show (according to what the vendors echoed; which often resonated with the generic and commercial venue), displaying their love, in what was typically a little 5x5 booth. Mostly delightful work, but of course a few little faux fur neon pink hats crept in here and there.  With empty pockets, my eyes did most of my shopping, but it was really nice to see people working in what they love. It inspired me to get my lazy creative bones moving again. My only purchase, though not my only wishlist item, was a very very affordable wood block mounted letterpress print of a rooster. Feeling like a little reward was due for our effective purchasing restraint, Jena and I made our way to Saint Cupcake, located in Noun (a little gift shop on Belmont). It and it’s miniature little cupcakes were adorable; not so adorable I couldn’t stuff them in my mouth and devour them, less two little vegan guys that I saved for my vegan sweet, Jesse. That evening Jesse and I went to see an Indie Pop band that the former drummer in their GNR band was currently in. Nice little divy bar and the music was OK.

The next morning, I met my girl Maria at Gravy, a way-too-popular-for-its-own-good breakfast place, for an early-to-me meal. After getting the boot because they hold sacred their quick turn around (understandable with crowds waiting outside literally allll day; though I am liking these hipster spots less and less for that reason), we walked a block to a coffee place and invested four hours of much needed girl time. Afterward, I headed home to get a few things done before Jesse came over and we attended the restorative yoga class. It was amazing! It was restorative in every sense of the word and a positive way to end a heart nudging weekend.

Though with all of my jubilant splish splashing, I feel more and more like a clogged drain. Water is filling the basin because nothing is getting through. I think this means that I am stifled creatively and need something….something to yank me out of my weird little unproductive funk. I have way way too many things to be doing and I think the overwhelming prospect of organizing and starting ANY of them has me gridlocked mentally. I need to find the little part of myself that I tucked away for the last two months and invite her to the party again, still keeping balance a priority. In the meantime, I celebrate and express soulful gratitude for the people and the place that has and continues to help shape the woman I am and the woman I am becoming. With everything that I am, thank you so much for being a positive, loving and inspiring figure in my life. You make my world go ‘round.

No comments:

Post a Comment