Monday, May 17, 2010

no longer dancing around the issue

A toast to summer with boca burgers, some amazing vegan potato salad (really!...AMAZING; like, really?-this-is-vegan amazing) and Simply Raspberry Lemonade (oh wow!!) followed by a walk at dusk in the arboretum with my two favorite pups and my one favorite man. ; ) No better way to start the weekend in my opinion. And of course, 70-75 degree, clear and sunny weather definitely helps. I'm busting at the prospect of camping, hiking, beaching, picnicing and backyard BBQing and hopefully, some ocean kayaking!! For the Portlanders, stay tuned for a big ole' potluck picnic I want to organize in either late May or early June in Laurelhurst.
On Saturday, Maria invited J and I to join her and her pals, Tray, Chris, Wes and her couch-surfing guest Pierrick from Paris for the shorter 6.5 mile hike up Eagle Creek to High Bridge. Here are some photos from our little adventure. More are on Flickr as always. I am all too excited to do the 12 mile hike next time and then eventually one of the overnighters, once J and I can get some necessary camping gear. Portland, you are one brilliant landscape!


I danced my pants off! I did, I did! And guess what else!? I didn't mind two shakes that I wasn't alone and in fact, shared the space with 25 other people who too, felt no inhibition and embodied their sense of self and connection to their movement, their honesty and their soul. Wow!

I met Nicole through Jesse and asked if I could join her and Alicia on Sunday for their Ecstatic Dance class. Nicole offered to pick me up and graciously gave me a little pep talk and precursory insight into what to expect as I was visibly nervous about the whole thing. I have been pushing through my edges to try new things, to experience what might have scared me in the past or been too "hard" or "different". I am so glad that I took the initiative because the experience was incredible for me. Within about ten minutes I was able to almost completely open up and dance in ways that I would probably never have been normally comfortable moving. Granted, the safe and open environment is totally conducive to this kind of experience with one's self, but it still took a little something from a deeper, less explored part of myself, to work through the self-judgment shit that has dictated to me in the past. I broke out. I danced and stretched and did some yoga and meditated and somehow found myself on a sand dune all by myself. I wasn't in the studio, among other people or really dancing necessarily at certain points. I was just OK....being...myself. When present in the space, I gained so much comfort and energy in seeing all of these people so incredibly comfortable with themselves and found a lot of unconstrained support and inspiration to let go, find freedom and enjoy the experience of self. And for added benefit, I got a wonderful workout out of it, got to spend time with Nicole (who is wonderful!) and then enjoy a fabulous brunch of waffles and fresh strawberries with her and Alicia at Mother's Bistro afterward. It was a terrific reward of bravery to have the experience and then to get to know two amazing women in the process.

In another smaller bit of news, I agreed to take over the volunteer leader position with Hands on Portland for the "Art with Refugee Kids" program that I have been volunteering with since February, which I am really excited about. Portlanders, stay tuned to this as well, as I may need to reach out for more summer volunteers!

Thank you universe for being so giving. I hope I can find more ways to give of myself to repay the gifts you have presented me with. I am so grateful.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely entry! Seems like you're getting some pretty good pics of Mr. J. :) Funny you mention Laurelhurst, as I was fantasizing over the weekend about a sunny day picnic there.

    I never tire of hearing what this locale provides for you. I'm so happy you're happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sara! I am excited to get this Laurelhurst picnic organized and as soon as I get a date set, I'll send out an evite to everyone. Yay for fabulous weather on the weekends, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for estactic dance! I'm so glad you liked it! I wanna try it. I think. Maybe ;) What I know for sure is I need to go hiking at this place, looks insanely gorgeous!

    I can hear a little yoga-doing, Buddhist-leaning, therapist-dating, Portland-hippie sinking into you in these past few posts, my spiritually thankful friend :) Cool to see how your whole vibe and the voice/words you use to express yourself are slowly but surely changing. In a good way, of course! Glad you're so happy, I can see it! And feel it! You definitely deserve it, I'm so glad you moved here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jena! I am so glad I moved here too!! I think you and I should do a solo hike, just you and me. It'd be a good way to bond with my best girl. Maybe, if we're good and get some work done, we can go one day during the week when there are less people perhaps.

    ReplyDelete