Sunday, March 14, 2010

carte blanche

Ahhhhhh. That is the only way to describe the last four days. And since I have been allergic to my camera lately, here's a little throw back: circa 1981. A pretty characteristic picture of my mood lately.  (My clothes were bomb-ass (my favorite MJism)!! What the hell happened?)

Last week was ridiculous and something I don't think I'll do again anytime soon. I'm not even going to go into it here, but I decided that committing myself to someone/something every single day is exhausting and something I am consciously going to be pulling away from now that I feel like I've finally found a reason to. Got to sample a couple new spots though. Oba had some pretty kick ass crab cakes (going to miss having crabs: ha!...ewww) and Blue Moon. I must admit I just don't dig the McMenamins menu (there are just too many other yummy places to try). Though I will say that it was really nice to be on my side of town for a change.

I took in the "Portland Love" art show at the commerce center with a new pal. It was an open call and non-juried so there was some shitty and some exceptional work to look at, appx 260 pieces. Afterward we went to Hungry Tiger (said new pal is vegan) and then we went to Bonfire for a Guinness. Lovely Thursday. I was so tired that I decided to effectively cancel all of the weekend plans I had committed to and just play it by ear, but as consciously as possible, keep alive, the idea of flying solo. So on Friday, I went and did "Get Artsy with Refugee Kids" again which was fun. I feel like my committment to them and the regularity of my participation is what is going to reach them more than anything, so I am going to do my very best to go as often as I can, while I still can. After that, I came home, watched Food Inc., made dinner and resolved to indefinite vegetarianism. On Saturday, Sara and I went and sampled the city-famous waffles at one of the 2 million food carts they have here, Flavour Spot at Fremont and Mississippi. I had the nutella and peanut butter (duh!) and Ms. Sara had the maple and sausage. They were Y.U.M.!! Though I have to say that my salty little heart was also craving the 10 different options at Mississippi Marketplace that we walked from. In all of my Portlanding, I had totally forgotten about the Mississippi area and what awesome stuff it has to offer. I told Sara that we would have to dedicate at least half of a future Saturday just to sampling the rad stores and a couple of the food carts.

As we were waiting for our freshly made juice from one of said carts, the sun soaking into my pores, I told her that it was the picture of euphoria to me and how I feel this same intensity, even after more than 4 months. I know that it is still so new, but there is just some kind of mojo that Portland has that is hard to describe and even harder to beat. I've never felt a place in this way. I think the closest I can think of is traveling to Venice for the first time in my adulthood. It had a very enchanting quality, though I am certain that would have capsized as quickly as it surfaced. And the thing is, this love affair with Portland came on strong in the winter months. I can only imagine the feelings that will form in the spring/summer, which Portlanders boast about with unsequestered enthusiasm. I am really looking forward to it.

After waffles, we headed to Bishops on our side of town and got our hairs cut. I have to say, I am a bit disappointed with the technique behind my haircut (not a whole lot of precision), BUT, I really enjoyed the experience and my stylist and am so so happy to have a fresh cut. Might still try to find that magical salon and stylist (I tend to befriend the ones I love and don't go anywhere else once I do). And after wandering a bit on 23rd, I came home and had the solo time I have been really needing. I don't even remember what I did, only that I was alone and really really satisfied with this non-plan plan. Today was laundry, cleaning, a stop at New Seasons for a few fresh ingredients for the crepes I intended on making and got some replacement fabric from JoAnn's for a project I am working on. Sara, Jesse and Danny came over and I made four cheese herb crepes (goat cheese, gruyere, parmasean, ricotta) with cherry tomatoes and basil. They kicked ass and got rave reviews all around. I can't not make sweet crepes, so I made my simple signature strawberry/chocolate/walnut crepes with freshly made whipped cream (which turned out a lot better this time and solidifies that I will NEVER buy ready-made whipped cream again!). Another round of great reviews. I  LOVE making crepes for people, especially when they enjoy and appreciate them as much as I do making them. So that ends a really nice and quiet weekend which was just what I was needing. This week is starting to fill up, but with meaningful people and events, so no complaints. AND the best news of all, my momma is coming to visit me in 8 days! Let the planning begin!

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, did those crepes hit the spot. We will happily compose your taste-testing committee whenever you need; bet on that.

    Good point that Portland drew you so easily into her arms in winter - you're in for such a treat when summer hits full blast - something we've gotten a subtle, early taste of already.

    So excited for your mom's visit. Excited to meet her and excited to see you share your refreshing, contagious euphoria!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's 65 degrees and sunny today!! A lovely taste of what is to come in the months ahead. Yippee!

    ReplyDelete